Resurrecting my old Drupal Site

As I have previously blogged, I recently managed to resurrect my old Drupal site that ran in the Amazon AWS cloud, and get it working again on a new host. I have just written up a summary of how I battled through the process, which can be found here.

Unfortunately, I took a long time to write it up. So it is not as detailed as I originally intended. But if like me you run a Drupal site, or you did and it is also broken, then feel free to follow the link for a read. It may at least give some ideas to follow up. I made heavy use of DrupalVM. If you are just starting out with a Drupal website, and you have more than FTP access to your hosting, I recommend using  DrupalVM (which is built with Vagrant & Ansible) for local development and testing.

Advertisements

February 2017 – My Free Software activities summary

When I sat down to write this blog, I thought I hadn’t got much done in February. But as it took  me quite a while to write up, there must have actually been a little bit of progress. With my wife starting a new job, there have been some adjustments in family life, and I have struggled just to keep up with all the Debian and Ubuntu emails. Anyway……..

Debian

Ubuntu

  • Tested Ubuntu Studio 16.02.2 point release, marked as ready, and updated the Release Notes.
  • Started updating my previous Gramps backport in Ubuntu to Gramps 4.2.5. The package builds fine, and I have tested that it installs and works. I just need to update the bug.
  • Prepared updates to the ubuntustudio-default-settings & ubuntustudio-meta packages. There were some deferred changes from before Yakkety was released, including moving the final bit of configuration left in the ubuntustudio-lightdm-theme package to ubuntustudio-default-settings. Jeremy Bicha sponsored the uploads after suggesting moving away from some transitional ttf font packages in ubuntustudio-meta.
  • Tested the Ubuntu Studio 17.04 First Beta release, marked as ready, and prepared the Release Notes.
  • Upgraded my music studio Ubuntu Studio computer to Yakkety 16.1o.
  • Got accepted as an Ubuntu Contributing Developer by the Developer Membership Board.

Other

  • After a merge of my Family Tree with the Family Tree of my wife in Gramps a long way back, I finally started working through the database merging duplicates and correcting import errors.
  • Worked some more on the model railway, connecting up the other end of the tunnel section with the rest of the railway.

Plan status from last month & update for next month

Debian

For the Debian Stretch release:

  • Keep an eye on the Release Critical bugs list, and see if I can help fix any. – In Progress

Generally:

  • Finish the Gramps 5.2.5 backport for Jessie. – Done
  • Package all the latest upstream versions of my Debian packages, and upload them to Experimental to keep them out of the way of the Stretch release.
  • Begin working again on all the new stuff I want packaged in Debian.

Ubuntu

  • Finish the ubuntustudio-lightdm-theme, ubuntustudio-default-settings transition including an update to the ubuntustudio-meta packages. – Done
  • Reapply to become a Contributing Developer. – Done
  • Start working on an Ubuntu Studio package tracker website so that we can keep an eye on the status of the packages we are interested in. – Started
  • Start testing & bug triaging Ubuntu Studio packages. – In progress
  • Test Len’s work on ubuntustudio-controls – In progress
  • Do the Ubuntu Studio Zesty 17.04 Final Beta release.

Other

  • Give JMRI a good try out and look at what it would take to package it. – In progress
  • Also look at OpenPLC for simulating the relay logic of real railway interlockings (i.e. a little bit of the day job at home involving free software – fun!). – In progress