I received a Funeral Notice from another GoONS member recently, and pulled together as much of Denzil Raymond Gammons’s family as I could. More information can be found on my Gammon One Name website:
DENZ admin Sun, 08/20/2017 – 15:29 Related Image Oldest Ancestor of Family Group Denzil Raymond GAMMONS Earliest known date for Oldest Ancestor September 1919 Origin of Family Group Peterborough, England, UK Thanks to the GoONS Newswatch Project, I received a copy of the Funeral Notice for Denzil (Ray) Gammons from the Herts Advertiser. I managed…
As I have previously blogged, I recently managed to resurrect my old Drupal site that ran in the Amazon AWS cloud, and get it working again on a new host. I have just written up a summary of how I battled through the process, which can be found here.
Unfortunately, I took a long time to write it up. So it is not as detailed as I originally intended. But if like me you run a Drupal site, or you did and it is also broken, then feel free to follow the link for a read. It may at least give some ideas to follow up. I made heavy use of DrupalVM. If you are just starting out with a Drupal website, and you have more than FTP access to your hosting, I recommend using DrupalVM (which is built with Vagrant & Ansible) for local development and testing.
It has been a quiet start to the year due to work keeping me very busy. Most of my spare time (when not sitting shattered on the sofa) was spent resurrecting my old website from backups. My son had plenty of visitors coming to visit as well, which prompted me to restart work on my model railway in the basement. Last year I received a whole heap of track, and also a tunnel formation from a friend at work. I managed to finish the supporting structure for the tunnel, and connect one end of it to the existing track layout. The next step (which will be a bit harder) is to connect the other end of the tunnel into the existing layout. The basement is one of the favourite things for me to keep my son and his friends occupied when there is a visit. The railway and music studio are very popular with the little guests.
Package latest abcmidi release so it too would be part of Stretch. The upstream author had changed his website, so it took a while to locate a tarball.
Tested my latest patches to convert Cree.py to Qt5, but found another Qt4 – Qt5 change to take into account (SIGNAL function). I ran out of time to fully investigate that one, before Creepy was booted out of testing again. I am seriously considering the removal of Cree.py from Debian, as the upstream maintainer does not seem very active any more, and I am a little tired of being upstream for a project that I don’t actually use myself. It was only because it was a reverse dependency of osm-gps-map that I originally got involved.
Started preparing a Gramps 5.2.5 backport for Jessie, but found that the tests I enabled in unstable were failing in the Jessie build. I need to investigate this further.
Upgraded my Ubuntu Studio machine from Wily to Xenial.
Resurrected my old Drupal Gammon One Name Study website. I used Drupal VM to get the site going again, before transferring it to the new webhost. It was originally a Drupal 7 site, and I did not have the required versions of Ansible & Vagrant on my Ubuntu Xenial machine, so the process was quite involved. I will blog about that separately, as it may be a useful lesson for others. As part of that, I started on a backport of vagrant, but found a bug which I need to follow up on.
Also managed to extract my old WordPress blog posts from the same machine that had the failed Drupal instance, and import them into this blog. I also learnt some stuff in that process that I will blog about at some point.
Plan status from last month & update for next month
Before the 5th February 2017 Debian Stretch hard freeze I hope to:
Finally, I once again have a website for my Gammon One Name Study with the Guild of One Name Studies. Back in 2014, my AWS Drupal and WordPress instances died, and I was not able to get things going again.
Luckily, the bright people at the Guild of One Name Studies thought it would be a good idea if they were able to host websites for their members. It is one of the goals of the Guild, to publish all research results. So, the Guild Member Website Project was born.
At first, only HTML websites, WordPress & Wikimedia based websites & ones created using TNG were supported by the project. When I recently read that Drupal was available, I set about resurrecting my old Drupal site from backups. And here it is:
The process to get it up and running again was quite involved, so I will blog about that separately. Today, I added the last family group page, and then checked and corrected all the links and added back some missing images on this blog. Hopefully I am now back where I was in 2014, with everything working.
Somehow or other, I ended up publishing some information about the HORN Family Group, but did not seem to have a blog about it. This may have been because I did not have an accurate backup of my old blog, and it has been lost, or it was an oversight.
It has been a long time since I worked on my family tree in Gramps, and I can see I have a lot of tidying up to do. Anyway, resurrecting my old website reminded me that I should extract the work as it stands, and publish it on my website using the Narrative Web Report…
A long time ago, when I was using Windows and busy researching my Family History, I created this website using a product called Netobjects Fusion. Back in 2010, I switched to using Linux and was no longer able to edit the website. Finally, I have converted the website to Jekyll. This allows me to edit…